They said that the 2's are terrible...then the 3's are TRYING!
Not sure what is going on with our little man - maybe it's growing pains, maybe it is testing the limits...not sure what it is...but it is sure trying his mom and dad. Tonight was a real kicker. Since he had a good day at school we rewarded him with going to the pool. Now our neighborhood pool is oval in shape that gradually goes from 3 ft to 5 ft. Along one side in the shape of a half circle is a 1.5 ft deep kiddie pool. Now on Tuesday I was the one who spent time with Patrick in the 'big' pool. Tonight was Matthew's turn. After an hour and a half of dealing with a 40 pounder, a family arrived with another 3 yr old boy. So Matthew put Patrick in the kiddie pool to play while he took a break. I sat along the edge of the kiddie pool so that we would have both sides covered. Well after about 10 minutes of playing Patrick decided he wanted to be in the 'big' pool. When Matthew explained that either he stayed in the kiddie pool or go home, it was pure meltdown. I am sure that our entire neighborhood heard the screams when Matthew gathered up Patrick, after his last attempt to get in the 'big' pool. This continued throughout the evening. The biggest kicker was when we put him to bed.
Following normal bedtime routine, I left. Suddenly it became the battle of wills. This continued for 45 minutes. At one point the following conversation was had between Patrick and myself.
Patrick (screaming from his bed) - But I'm a baby!
LeAnna - (upon enterning his room) - What? Patrick your baby (Twardin) is right here. Now go to bed.
Patrick - No, I'm a baby.
LeAnna - You are not a baby. It's time to go to bed.
Patrick - (with the saddest puppy dog eyes) - But babies have to have someone lay with them. I want a pull up!
The boy sure does know how to work it. But proudly Matthew and I did not give up the fight...we did not give in to his screams, but did turn on his bedroom light as he said he was scared of the monsters (this is a new one). After 10 minutes he was sound asleep. I quietly turned out his light. Turned off the flashlight in his hand and softly removed it and placed it on his nightstand.
Honestly - what are we going to do with this boy! We are trying to remember that we are his parents, the ones who know what's best for him.....and remembering that was REALLY hard as our little man was pittifully screaming at the top of his lungs during the bedtime meltdown. Here's hoping this isn't a sign as to what is to come in the coming year!
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Trying Threes!
Posted by LeAndMatt at 9:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Trying threes?? All I can say is AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like y'all had a pretty rough time of it. Hopefully, it was just an isolated melt-down and Patrick will be back to his cute little self soon!
I remember plenty of times when - pruney as could be - I wasn't the happiest camper when told to get out of the big pool!
Post a Comment